Thursday, September 12, 2013

Abundance

It is that time of the year again.
When we go to Elmira we can see glads for sale  along the road, all the way from one lonely left over in a big pail to a fancy wagon with a large variety.
These pails are always overflowing, but only with a single color.

Not so at this stand in Dorking, my favorite place.
On one of my stops I met the girls, who look after this wagon and they told me, that they have 11/2 acres with gladioli and they figure, that they have about 20.000 flowers.
On a sunny Saturday they will come out every hour with more flowers. I have never stopped there without somebody else being there. And yes, they sell for 3 for a $1. So for $3 you have a beautiful bouquet.
Now I realize, that cutting the flowers is only a small part of the process. The bulbs have to be dug up, cleaned, stored and then in the spring planted again. It is not as if there is no work involved.
 The last few weeks I have been busy with other things, so the quilting was put aside.
Right now I'm trying to machine quilt this baby quilt.
Only the border to go!
These 2 quilt tops have been fun to make and are easy to do.
But the rest will have to wait a little longer.
Next week I will be in St. Johns New Foundland, where I will give a trunk show for the Cabot guild on Tuesday evening.
I'm busy trying to figure out what to take along. I'm used to filling up the car, but that will not work. I'll start with my personal things I cannot do without like some clothes. The rest will be filled up with quilts till I reach the maximum weight.
Then on Tuesday, September 24th I will give a workshop at the Kincardine Sunset Quilters Guild. I will be teaching the Sashiko Sampler.
Yesterday I heard, that the workshop is full with a waiting list.

That will be it for teaching this fall.
I'm in the process of starting another project for a future quilt for the Mennonite Relief Sale and that will take my time for the coming months.
We have had a few very hot days. On Tuesday we were at the Canadian Outdoor Farm Show and it was hot. Too hot for me, so we came home early in the afternoon. But today it is cooler and I will have to spend some time in the flower beds.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment