Wednesday, June 05, 2013

The Badlands

A few years ago I saw a picture of what was called the Cheltenham Badlands, close to Orangeville.
One Sunday afternoon we went looking for them, but never did find it .
Then ,when the badlands were mentioned during our latest horticultural meeting, I really wanted to find this place.



This last Sunday was the day. This time I looked the location up on the computer and after a 1 hour drive we found this remarkable place. Parking is right on the road and you can walk right in. These are shale deposits, that have over the years eroded.
Walking on the top ridges was easy, but I can see that as soon as it rains , it could get very slippery, very quick.
After one hour, we made it back to the truck, just before it started to rain.
And that's the way it stayed for the rest of the afternoon on our drive home.




Last week I tried a few new projects, but they all were a dismall failure. Laurence thinks I'm nuts to start thinking of making Christmas cards during the summer. But it seems , that is the best time to start the thinking process.
But not so far. It all ended up in the garbage.
Next week will see the African Quilts at the London International Quilt Festival. I'm planning to go one day to see the quilts and visit the merchant mall. Then on Friday I will be taking a woodblock printing workshop with Paula Benjaminson.
I'm really looking forward to that. I have not taken a workshop in ages.
After the workshop I will continue with the African themed quilts.
So what to do in the mean time?

I took out my botanical blocks. I started this project last year, but gave up when my shoulder started to bug me again.
As you can see I have lots of fabrics for the daffodils and I'm enjoying the process again.
The flowers in this block should be done by the time the workshop is over.
Then I will have to make a decision of what to do next.




Last year we had a den of foxes across the (very busy) road. We saw the foxes most days, crossing the lawn and at times watching us work in the garden.
This year I had not seen them, till a friend mentioned, that he saw foxes across a small field beside the house.
On the other side of this field is a creek with lots of trees ans shrubs.
Now we see them almost daily.
Then last evening, while sitting in the office, I noticed 3 of them watching me outside, maybe 10 feet on the other side of the window.
I ran to get my camera, but could not get a good picture, since there was an an evergreen in the way. They were not afraid and took their time watching me. One even nosed in the garage.
Once I opened the front door they took of. Then during the night Laurence woke up. He was sure they were playing under the window.
We hope they will keep their distance. We don't want them to get too friendly. We will make sure that there is no garbage sitting around.
I do love to see them playing though.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. Your photos of the badlands are very interesting. The fox is too cute.

    ReplyDelete