Thursday, September 06, 2012

Fall landscape....finished

This wall hanging was started 2 years ago. After the hand applique I did quilting with the machine, using only a batting, but no back. That way the machine could knot the ends. Yes I felt lazy!
That's how far as it got and it was put in a drawer.
While talking to a friend I was advised , that if I ever wanted to put it in a quilt show, it would be better to have some quilting showing on the back, not just a plain piece of fabric.
That's when I wondered if the quilt as you go method would work.
I put a back behind the applique and did some more quilting
I squared the center piece, and sewed the first border pieces on in a flip as you go method and put batting in between.
This I quilted with a small pebble design.
Back to squaring the piece. For the second border I had to change it somewhat.
I wanted mitered corners in the front and those I sewed down by hand.
Then it was back to quilting the second border in a straight design. I find this makes the piece lay flat.
The mitered corners worked well, what does not alway happen to me. Then the binding and sleeve and I was done!!!
And just in time. A new month was coming up and a new applique block was waiting for me.
For the long week-end we decided to go for a visit to the Paris Fair. Laurence had heard good things about the fair and once I saw , that there would be a Frisian Horse Show on the Saturday afternoon I was ready to go.
One o'clock came, but no horses. When I asked I found out, that the show had been cancelled ,but nobody had bothered to change it on their Web Site.
These birds made up for it. The barn owl and great horned owl were featured on a Birds of Prey program and it was excellent.
Maybe this would be something for a future quilt.
This coming week I will have a trunk show at the guild in Fergus at 7.30 p.m. at the Royal Canadian Legion, 500 Blair Street. Fergus.

No comments:

Post a Comment