Tuesday, April 12, 2011

45th Annual Relief Sale Dinner

kids quiltI have been busy making kids' quilt tops. This one I finished quilting this morning and it will go to Japan. All it needs is the binding. Three more to go, two for Smile Quilts and one for a gift. The machine quilting did not go too badly, but it it still hard on my back. I have to take it in small steps.
Yesterday was the annual dinner for the Mennonite Relief Sale at Bingeman's in Kitchener. This is a sure sign that spring is not far off! The hall and food have all been donated and all the work is done by volunteers. Not a small job, since the hall was filled with over 700 hungry people. The proceeds of this dinner help with the expenses for the Relief Sale at the end of May. As usual the meal was very good.
relief sale quiltAt the front hung the feature quilt for this year: it's the quilt that I co-ordinated with help of lots of members of the Waterloo County Quilters Guild. This is the 6th feature quilt I have co-ordinated and I have a poster of each one, except for the first one.
That year, 1999, there was no feature quilt yet. That changed the following year. This year I also received a poster and as usual it is very well done. There are also cards and I love them. They are very clear and you can see a lot of the details, what is hard to do with such a busy quilt. Posters and cards will be available at the sale on May 28th.
We finally have some sunny weather. The first little primula is blooming in a sunny spot. A few more of those sunny days and the daffodils will be out.
Today I was asked by Laurence to roll the lawn. That way it will not be so bumpy, when it will be mowed. We think a little different about what has to happen outside. For him the lawn is number one, for me the flowerbeds come first and if there is time left, then I will get to the -- huge in size I might add -- lawn.
This coming Saturday I will be teaching at Greenwood Quiltery in Guelph. It will be Landscape 2.In this workshop, I will show you how you can make a landscape quilt using your own picture. There are a few spaces left, so if you are interested you can give the store a call at 1-866-364-2790. It helps if you took my Landscape 1 workshop, but it is not a must. Enthusiasm is more important!

No comments:

Post a Comment