Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Pears galore

A long time ago we bought 2 very small pear trees. We were told, that we needed two for cross pollination. One grew, the other lasted a few years, till we had to cut it down. The one left usually had a few pears, all ready at the same time. But this year we have a big crop, much more then we can ever eat. I took some to town this morning and neighbours will be asked to come and pick some more. Canned pears are not a favorite around here. And the last jars I had on hand were filled with fruit relish last week. Now on the quilt front. The fabric in the center was given to me by Jenny after her visit to Hawaii as a thank you to for looking after their dog. It is a batik with small turtles and it is only available in Hawaii. I have looked at it for almost a year and a half and finally came up with this idea. The 1/2 yard was enough for 2 blocks. Both blocks are in the Hawaiian style, where you fold a piece of paper in 8th, draw a design on one part and cut it out. This is similar to the snowflake cut outs.
I drew this orchid block (final size 18 inches), basted the top onto the back and needle turned it by hand. It was a good excersize with all the sharp corners. For the border I found a fabric, that had the same colours and was a pretty good match.
Before the one above, I practised with this pine apple block. Much easier and faster to do. For the back I found a piece of fabric on sale with ginko leaves in the same colors. These 2 pieces will be added to the other pieces yet to be quilted. Next week I should have one more piece to show.

No comments:

Post a Comment