Thursday, January 17, 2008

Loss

There was a reason I have not updated my blog for a few weeks.
A week ago on Sunday I received a call from my brother in Holland. My mother had passed away very suddenly, a week shy of her 91st birthday. The Friday before she had phoned me yet and we had a very good talk. She had a massive stroke and did not suffer much.
Plans had to be made in a hurry . Jeannette and I flew over on Tuesday. The funeral was on Friday. During the visitation I met a lot of people I had not seen in a long time,but I wished it would not have been for this reason.
We flew back on Sunday and arrived in Kitchener around midnight.
This picture was taken last year, when I was over for her 90th birthday. She did still some knitting, but she complained about her failing eye sight.
It was from my mother that I learned my needle work skills. I was not even in school and I learned myself to knit, sitting across from her. It was easy for me to change hands, so I just copied her knitting and did it mirror wise. And I still knit "backwards" despite the teachers trying to change that. Sewing was learned on a threadle machine, a Singer.She did mostly mending, but did make our clothes, when we were small. Later there was a motor on the machine.
My mother loved to knit and crochet and she would knit the whole family socks till she was well into her 80th.
She also taught me to never give up. I was diagnosed with scoliosis when I was 4 and had a brace on from 4 till 16. I think it hurt her more than me to see me struggle at times. But it did help me and the cost of all that was not easy for a beginning farmer after the war.
Yes, we had our quarrels and could not agree on things, but that happens.
Friday is coming up again, the day I used to give her a call.
I will miss her!

6 comments:

  1. Dear Renske, I read your Blog every week. I am so so sorry to hear your mother passed away. It sure seem as though she was avibrant lady. My condolensces.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very sorry to hear of your mother's sudden passing, Renske. She sounded like a wonderful needlewoman and all of us needlewomen will miss her presence in our circle of threads. Kind regards, ~~Debra

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:57 AM

    Sorry for your loss. It sounds like your mother had a good life.
    I read your blog a lot and enjoy it. I hope that you get through your loss and remember the good times.
    Rebecca in AZ

    ReplyDelete
  4. Renske... I'm so sorry to hear your news, but happy that your mother did not suffer long. At 89, my mom is starting to fail (memory loss, tho physically she is pretty good), so I can sympathize and wish I could give you quilterly hugs. I am so glad you finished the quilt for her....

    I will be thinking of you today on your Friday telephoning day,

    Hugs, Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  5. Renske, I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. My mother passed away three years ago just shy of her 91st birthday. My good memories of your mom bless and comfort you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Renske, I'm so sorry to hear about the passing of your Mom. Prayers & thoughts are with you & your family at this time.
    {{{{{HUGS}}}}}

    ReplyDelete