Wednesday, December 01, 2004

My Quilt History

About Me

renskeanddad_brightened_smlr I was born in Friesland, in the north of Holland on a dairy farm (at left, a picture of my father and I, in native costume!). After high school, I went to teacher's college for 5 years, where – among other things – I had to study Home Economics. We were given extensive instruction in needlework, knitting, and crocheting. I also took special classes in art and art history, which would enable me to teach at a high school level. After teaching in a small rural school for two years, I immigrated to Canada.

In 1972, I married and moved to Moorefield (in Ontario, Canada)inlawsdairyfarm, and in 1975 we took over my in-law's dairy farm. My mother-in-law taught me to piece quilts, and over the years I pieced several. But it was not until I learned about appliqué quilts that I discovered my true passion.

In 1994, I took a 10-month class from first applicationRosemary Makhan and I have never looked back! My first appliquéd quilt (left) was a traditional Baltimore album. Since that time I have made traditional as well as more modern pieces. I enjoy working with shaded, wired ribbon and experimenting with different flower shapes. My interest in gardening and flowers has served me well! Over the years I have taught many classes, first in wheat weaving and now in appliqué -- something I thoroughly enjoy.

Quilting Milestones:

May 2004: “The Critter Quilt” won three awards at Quilt Canada critterquilt_300(National Juried Show): Best Traditional Wall Hanging, President's Award for Excellence in Appliqué, and Viewer's Choice Awardrenskewithcritterquilt

May 2003: “The Critter Quilt” won Viewer's Choice award at the Ontario Juried show.

August 2003: “Springtime in Ontario” (at right) won 1st place of Country Canada at the World Quilt Competition, Lansing Michigan.

2002:

  • Cover picture and story in the spring issue of The Canadian Quilter (newsletter of the Canadian Quilting Association).
  • Quilt exhibition at the Homer Watson Gallery (Kitchener, Ontario) with Carol Huehn and Elizabeth Duggan-Litch.
  • Coordinator of the “Kaleidoscope of Nations” quilt (below) by members of the Waterloo County Quilters' Guild and the Listowel Mennonite Church. This quilt won the guild category and viewer's choice at the Ontario Juried Show (2002). “Kaleidoscope” sold at the Mennonite Relief Sale in New Hamburg, Ontario in May 2003 for a record $44,000! It was on the cover of the Canadian Mennonite, June 2002. Read about other group quilts I have coordinated here.
  • “Springtime in Ontario” won in the Traditional Large category at the National Juried Show (Quilt Canada), Edmonton, Alberta.

2001:

  • ”Springtime in Ontario” won first prize and Viewer's Choice at the Ontario Juried Show, Kitchener, Ontario. bouquet
  • “Springtime in Ontario” and “A Bouquet of Garden Flowers” (right) won Member's Choice and Viewer's Choice at the Waterloo County Quilters' Guild 2001 quilt show.

2000:

  • President, Waterloo County Quilters' Guild.
  • “Springtime in Ontario” won honorable mention in the 2-person category at the International Quilt Festival, Houston, Texas.

1999:

  • “A Bouquet of Garden Flowers” won 3rd prize large traditional appliqué category; “Baltimore Album”, quilt coordinator, honorable mention in the group category, International Quilt Festival, Houston, Texas.
  • “Sleighride” (right), winner of the quilt block competition at the Joseph Schneider Haus.
  • “A Bouquet of Garden Flowers” won honorable mention in the large category and “Baltimore Album”, quilt coordinator, won honorable mention in the group Ontario Juried Show, Kitchener, Ontario.

1998-2000:

During this time I coordinated a project that involved members of the Waterloo County Quilters' Guild and the Listowel Mennonite Church. This resulted in 2 quilts for the Mennonite Relief Sale. The first one was sold in 1999 and the second was sold in 2000.

1998: “A Bouquet of Garden Flowers” was juried into the Pacific International Quilt Festival.

1997:

  • 50th Anniversary Quilt juried into the European Quilt Championships in Holland.
  • Featured quilter during the Waterloo County Quilt Festival at the Schoolhouse in St. Jacobs, Ontario.
  • “Helmuth Album Quilt” won viewer's choice, Ontario Agricultural Museum Quilt show, Milton, Ontario.

1996: Winner of the Quilt Block competition at the Joseph Schneider Haus.

1995: “Helmuth Album Quilt,” member's choice and viewer's choice, Waterloo County Quilters Guild Show.

1994: Waterloo County Plowing Match - 2nd and 3rd prize large pieced quilts.

No comments:

Post a Comment