Monday, March 01, 2004

Workshop: Sashiko Sampler


Finished size: 20"x25"
Center panel: 9.5"x16"

Learn to build a lovely wall-hanging using sashiko stitching to complement other design elements.

This sampler is built around a centre that you supply -- either a fabric panel or a small quilt. You will surround the centre with sashiko, using three different techniques.

I will show you how to make your own sashiko patterns, but patterns will also be provided.

We'll also discuss how to determine where the sashiko designs should fit (as the centre panel varies in size, the sashiko designs will have to adjust to fill the correct space).

I will show some samples of how I have combined sashiko with applique and/or piecing in my own work -- I really love they work together, and I know you will, too!